Intercultural Network Canada has a number of interesting and innovative resources for developing effective cross-cultural relationships. Their mission is to cross cultures to reach, resource and release ethnic leaders for Jesus Christ. For those who like to throw parties as a means of creating new friends, check out the Party Hints Package.
Books on cultivating Multi-racial churches
These books deal with issues of interracial tension and bigotry for the purpose of finding reconciliation and integration of different ethnic groups. Cultural issues are not dealt with, rather issues of interracial tension and reconciliation, logistics, models of churches, diverse leadership, biblical principles of becoming one in Christ, etc. Anderson’s book provides a racial reconciliation survey and a 6 session reconciliation curriculum.
One body, one spirit : principles of successful multiracial churches / George A. Yancey.
Downers Grove, Ill. : InterVarsity Press, c2003.
Multicultural ministry : finding your church’s unique rhythm / David A. Anderson ; foreword by Bill Hybels. Grand Rapids, Mich. : Zondervan, c2004.
Divided by faith : evangelical religion and the problem of race in America / Michael O. Emerson, Christian Smith.
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2000
Resources to help immigrants integrate into our North American context
Bruce Sidebotham recommends two books by Stan Nussbaum.
1) *Why Are Americans Like That? A Visitor’s Guide to American Cultural Values and Expectations*
2)*American Cultural Baggage: How to Recognize and Deal with it*
The former is more for immigrants and the latter is more for Americans.
Check out these books and other resources at Enculturation books and Global Mapping International
Recommended books on understanding Culture
- Sarah A. Lanier. Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to understanding Hot- and Cold-Climate Cultures, (Hagerstown: McDougal Pub., 2000).
- P. Lane. A Beginner’s Guide to Crossing Cultures: Making Friends in a multi-cultural World, (Downer’s Grove: IVP, 2002).
- Sherwood G. Lingenfelter and Marvin K. Mayers. Ministering Cross-culturally: An incarnational Model for Personal Relationships, (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1968, 2003).
- P.G. Hiebert. Anthropological Reflections on Missiological Issues, (Grand Rapids: Baker 1994).
- Anthony J. Gittins, Gifts and strangers, (New York: Paulist Press, 1989).
- Bernard Adeney. Strange Virtues, (Downer’s Grove: IVP, 1995).
- David Maranz, African Friends and Money Matters: Observations from Africa, (Dallas: SIL Int, 2001).
- Craig Storti, The Art of Crossing Cultures 2nd Edition, (Yarmouth: Intercultural Press, 2001).
- Craig Storti, Cross-Cultural Dialogues: 74 Brief Encounters with a cultural Difference, (Yarmouth: Intercultural Press, 1994).
- Duane Elmer. Cross-cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility, (Downers Grove: IVP. 2006).
- Daniel Shaw. Transculturation: The Cultural Factor in Translation and Other Communication Tasks. (Pasadena: William Carey Library, 1988