Over the last two years, through our Best Practices for Church Boards workshops, we have gathered together church leaders from all over the province. They’ve come from all directions: large churches – small churches, urban churches – rural churches. Last week, as we met with 5 churches in the Kootenays, I found my reflections moving beyond their differences to their commonalities: Is there anything specific that all church leaders share? Among the possible answers, there was one thing that stands out: Anxiety. All church leaders wrestle with anxiety. They worry about their church. They spend sleepless nights in agony over their church. In idle moments, they fret over their church. And, I wonder if there is a cure for their agony,. In Acts 20, the Apostle Paul delivers a charge to those who would lead that creates a perspective that serves as a cure. “Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with His own blood. [Acts 20:28]” The fact is, while leaders serve the church – God owns it. While there is a unique sense of diligence that is woven into the words “my church” the fact remains that it is “His church.” While that reminder may not cure the causes of anxiety, it does create a perspective for leadership health. Church leaders are not alone! If it’s true that they worry and fret and fear over the life of a congregation – how much more does God carry the concerns in His heart. Church leaders are not alone! If it’s true that they serve and give to the point of exhaustion – how much more is God able to do for what belongs to Him. I shared this thought with one of the leaders at the Best Practices workshop. I just wanted to see if it would make a difference. The reaction was immediate. It didn’t remove his problems or solve his issues – but it did make a difference. “I’m not alone … Someone else owns this venture, and I’ll work it out with Him.”
I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. — Jesus
In This Section
Five Most Recent Articles
- Training Biblical Leaders and Preachers in Their Own Country by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- Board of Governors Award – Evan Scales by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- Kalimantan, Indonesia Trip by Loren Warkentin M.T.S.
- Alumni in Ministry by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- The People who make up Northwest by Loren Warkentin M.T.S.
Five Most Commented Articles
- MinistryLift Equipping Conference on October 24, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Orientation on November 5, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Website Training on November 5, 2014 1:30 pm
- Immerse Fall Mentor Training (all day) on November 6, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Logos Training on November 6, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Exegetical Workshop on November 6, 2014 1:00 pm
- Immerse Cornerstone on November 7, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Instructional Seminar - Wisdom Literature on November 7, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Cornerstone on November 8, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Instructional Seminar - Wisdom Literature on November 8, 2014 8:00 am
View the Large Calendar