In the various Gospels we have complementary accounts of the resurrection of Jesus and the diverse responses that people had to this news. We tend to think that these first century people easily accepted that God had raised Jesus from the dead. However, that is not the reality, at least as we find it in the Gospels. It took repeated appearances and stern words from Jesus himself before some were ready to believe that his resurrection had happened. The implications of such an event were enormous and people wanted firm evidence that it was true before accepting that Jesus truly was Messiah. After all, a dead Messiah, in any Jewish setting, was a contradiction in terms. One of the more surprising responses is reported by Luke (24:11). Women went early on Sunday morning to complete the burial preparations for Jesus. When they arrived at the tomb they found the stone door no longer blocking the tomb’s entrance. They entered the tomb and found no body. While they were considering this, two angels appeared and announced Jesus’ resurrection, in accordance with Jesus’ own words. The women rush back to report this “to the eleven and the rest” (24:9). Luke tells us this group of women included Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the rest with them (24:10). However, to the eleven “these matters appeared before them as nonsense (lÄ“ros).” This is the only occurrence of this word in the New Testament. Why did Luke choose this word to describe the response of the eleven to the women’s witness about Jesus’ resurrection?…
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. — The Apostle Paul
In This Section
Five Most Recent Articles
- Training Biblical Leaders and Preachers in Their Own Country by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- Board of Governors Award – Evan Scales by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- Kalimantan, Indonesia Trip by Loren Warkentin M.T.S.
- Alumni in Ministry by Kent Anderson Ph.D.
- The People who make up Northwest by Loren Warkentin M.T.S.
Five Most Commented Articles
- MinistryLift Equipping Conference on October 24, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Orientation on November 5, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Website Training on November 5, 2014 1:30 pm
- Immerse Fall Logos Training on November 6, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Mentor Training (all day) on November 6, 2014 8:30 am
- Immerse Fall Exegetical Workshop on November 6, 2014 1:00 pm
- Immerse Instructional Seminar - Wisdom Literature on November 7, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Cornerstone on November 7, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Cornerstone on November 8, 2014 8:00 am
- Immerse Instructional Seminar - Wisdom Literature on November 8, 2014 8:00 am
View the Large Calendar