Northwest offers, within the Master of Arts in Christian Studies (MACS) framework, a Global Leadership Studies program (in Korean Language) to provide intercultural leadership and ministry training. This Canadian degree program, when completed, is awarded conjointly by Trinity Western University and Northwest Baptist Seminary, and is offered within the general accreditation of ACTS with ATS. This degree program seeks to provide pastoral leadership development for Korean Christians working in Canada and in particular within the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches. However, if you are involved in another denomination, you are welcome to apply and you will find the program helpful.
General Academic Information
1. Students who complete this degree will fulfill the MACS degree program outcomes defined by ACTS Seminaries. These include:
- Acquire biblical and theological truth within the Believer’s church tradition;
- Articulate a highly developed, personal Christian world view;
- Deepen their spiritual character and insight;
- Develop their leadership capacity;
- Engage in the interface between biblical/theological truth and some aspects of social science research;
- Expand expertise and capacity in intercultural leadership and ministry.
2. Candidates will apply for admission to the MACS through the ACTS admissions office, using the normal application process and forms. This can be done online and assistance is available through the program’s administration team.There is no IBT English level requirement for admission to this program. However, should an individual admitted to this program desire to transfer to another ACTS degree program, normal IBT English requirements will apply.
3. Transfer of credit into this program will follow normal ACTS transfer policies.
4. The majority of courses are offered in Korean language, but some are offered in English with translation into Korean.
5. The total credits required to graduate will be 53 semester hours.
6. Applicants who already have an undergraduate or graduate degree in biblical studies or theology, will not have to take BIB 500Q and THS 540Q. Also, it is possible that applicants may transfer in some graduate courses. Evaluation of all transfer credits must occur at the time of admission. For courses to be considered for transfer, they must have been taken at a government approved graduate theology school in Korea or an ATS accredited institution in North America.
7. ACTS fees and tuition rates apply for all courses.
8. Applicants admitted to the program have standing as ACTS students. This means that students have opportunity to use the Collegium facility in the Fosmark Centre (TWU) on the same basis as other TWU graduate students. Students are also members of the Graduate Student Association and are required to pay the normal fees for such membership.
9. Parking on campus is available. Students may purchase a semester parking pass or pay daily parking fees.
10. Students have full library privileges.
Courses in this program are offered directly in Korean language or through translation. The Program Director is Larry Perkins, Ph.D., Professor in Biblical Studies, assisted by Daniel Park, DTH, DMN, who is responsible for student services and recruitment. Dr. Park is the lead pastor of the Global Korean Missions Centre (Canada). He has authored several books including Daily Worship to God (1997) and Church Administration (1998), both published in Korea. All courses apply to the degree. Note: RES 490Q is a prerequisite and does not count towards the 53 semester hours needed for graduation. We are seeking permission from ACTS to create a new course called MCS 500Q Introduction to MACS Global Christian Leadership (Korean) Program (3 credits). This will incorporate RES 490 and RES 500). Our intention is to introduce this course September 2016 for new students. This will increase the number of credit hours needed to graduate from 53 credits to 54 credits for students beginning September 2016.
|Course Code||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|MCS 500 Q||Intro. to the MACS Global Christian Leadership Program||3|
|BIB 500 Q||Introduction to the Bible||2|
|BIB 505 Q||Hermeneutics||3|
|BNT 634 Q||Exposition of Mark's Gospel||3|
|BIB 640 Q||NT Theology||3|
|BOT 670 Q||Exposition of Isaiah||3|
|THS 540 Q||Introduction to Theology||2|
|THS 571 Q||Believers Church Theology||3|
|CCM 612 Q||Global Theologies||3|
|CCM 643 Q||World Faiths||3|
|CCM 660 Q||Dynamics of Cross-Cultural Leadership||3|
|CLD 510 Q||Christian Leadership Foundations||3|
|CLD 531 Q||Personal Dimensions of Leadership||3|
|CLD 532 Q||Power, Change, and Conflict||3|
|CLD 533 Q||Mentoring, Team Building, Equipping||3|
|CLD 591 Q||Special Topics: Global Leadership||3|
|PTH 600 Q||Pastoral Formation||3|
|PTH 613 Q||Evangelism and Faith Formation||3|
|MCS 810 Q||Grad Essay||3|
|Year 1 Fall||Year 1 Spring||Year 2 Fall||Year 2 Spring|
|RES 490 Q - 1||BIB 640 Q - 3||BNT 634 Q - 3||BOT 670 Q - 3|
|RES 500 Q - 1||CCM 612 Q - 3||CLD 532 Q - 3||CLD 533 Q - 3|
|BIB 500 Q - 2||CLD 531 Q - 3||CLD 591 Q - 3||THS 571 Q - 3|
|BIB 505 Q - 3||PTH 600 Q - 3||THS 540 Q - 2||MACS 810 Q - 3|
|CCM 660 Q - 3||CCM 643 Q - 3|
|PTH 613 Q - 3|
|CLD 510 Q - 3|
|Total Credits||Total Credits||Total Credits||Total Credits|
Application for Admission
Individuals apply for the MA in Christian Studies program through the normal ACTS application process. Please see the ACTS website for those details. The degree is offered conjointly by Trinity Western University and Northwest Baptist Seminary.
Click here for the ACTS Application form
When applying to the MA in Christian Studies Korean Global Leadership program, click on the “Academics” tab in the application, then under “Program of Interest” select “MACS Korean Global Leadership.”
Registration for Courses
Registration for courses can be completed by going to the ACTS website. Formal registration will not be confirmed until the student makes payment to ACTS by cash or cheque. Payment must be received prior to the first day of classes.
Tuition and Fees
The following rates apply to 2016 – 2017 and are stated in Canadian funds:
- Tuition: $460 per credit hour
- Admission Deposit: $200
- Application Fee: $40 (this can be waived by using the promo code “go2ACTS2016” or “go2ACTS2017”.
- Late Registration Fee: $50
- Graduate Students Association Fee: $3 per credit hour
- Graduation Fee: $100
- Parking Day Pass: $7.50
- Parking Pass (Sept – Apr): $350
Tuition refunds follow the ACTS policy. In some situations where financial aid funds apply and are available students may receive financial assistance. Please refer to the Financial Aid section of this website to discern how to make application.
Transfer of Courses
Students may transfer into the program four specific courses from previous graduate studies. These are limited to:
- One course in Christianity and Culture Studies
- Two courses in Biblical Studies (One from Old Testament and One from New Testament)
- One course in Christian Education
Courses have to be taken at master’s level through a government registered seminary or university in Korea or through an ATS accredited institution in North America. To qualify for transfer, students must present their transcripts with their application for the program and have the transfer credits identified and evaluated as part of the normal admissions process.